The Layton Family October 2010

The Layton Family October 2010

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Farmer's Tans


This summer we have been hard at work in our yard. First we weeded EVERYTHING (it doesn't sound very daunting, but we have flower beds that border all around the house and all around our property line). NOTE TO SELF: What was I thinking when we landscaped the yard??? I would go out during the day (while Lily was asleep) and weed for about an hour. Then after the kids went to bed at night we would go out and weed for another 1 1/2 hours. I am on my 3rd pair of weeding gloves! (disregard the wood in the middle of the grass). Then came the mulch. To date we have unloaded TWELVE, yes that is 12, truckloads of mulch into our beds and our garden. Next was the garden. Oh how I love my garden. Probably because I'm already picking basil and rosemary from it.


After the garden came the rock steps. Kent decided they were too close to the rock wall and so he moved them. Then we landscaped them and added mulch. My FAVORITE thing about the rock steps is that there is a little path leading away from the steps into our strawberry patch. That Man of mine! He works miracles!And currently Kent is working on the deck. Remember the deck? It was made out of TREX. The wood that you will never have to take care of. Well, there was one lot of TREX that was recalled (the wood is breaking apart) and now we get to replace it. I say we, I really mean Kent.So when you see us next time and you notice that we have great farmer's tans, you'll know why. I'm sure Kent is looking forward to Winter!

7 comments:

Christina Olson said...

It's looking so good!! You will have to give us pointers when we own a house someday:)

Becky Rasmussen said...

It looks like a lot of work. Your deck is going to be so nice. I'm jealous!

Judy said...

Your yard looks GREAT! Michael is cursing me because when we did our yard, I said "I want wall to wall grass because I don't want a ton of weeding" so now... we are doing extra work, adding flower beds to make it look better. Yours looks awesome!

What do you do with your rosemary? Just curious... I've never cooked with it.

P.S. Did you talk to Lori?

Rachel Smith said...

holy tolito that looks like a ton of work! I have to say I'm totally jealous of it though! I can't wait to have my very own weeds to pull and basil to pick!

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful yard!
GOOD WORK!

Hollie said...

Your yard looks great. You can come on over to my house when you are done!

Kendall and Melissa said...

Wow you guys! it looks great!! That's what we've been doing all summer too. The farmer's tans look great!! But not as good as that yard! Way to go!