The Layton Family October 2010

The Layton Family October 2010

Friday, June 13, 2008

Flash Back Friday

I've seen some other blogs where they have done this. And I thought I would give it a try.




Backpacking Through Berlin, July 3rd- 5th 2003.....what were we thinking??


My dear friend, Shannee, was being a nanny for her aunt in Denmark. So during summer break from college I went and visited her for 4 weeks. On a whim, we decided to backpack through Berlin. So an hour later with nothing but our backpacks we were on a bus headed for Berlin.


We got off the bus at 6am the next morning. Neither of us spoke a word of German, we didn't have a clue where we were, we didn't have a map, and didn't have any Euro (they use Kroner in Denmark). We were just two 20 year old girls with a sense of adventure.


We couldn't find a money exchange to buy a map so we just started walking. We ended up walking about 20 miles that first day (we calculated this after with the map). We saw tons of amazing statues along the way. On a couple of statues we climbed up on them to take pictures (notice Shannee in pink in the second picture, riding one of the statues, click on the picture to enlarge it. It's hilarious! Her hair is even blowing in the wind!). Later we found out this is very illegal and we could have been put in jail. Gulp




We finally found info and a money exchange. We ate from street vendors and the bakery. That night we stayed in a Co-ed hostel. We slept with one eye open, if you know what I mean. The next day we went on a walking tour and figured out how to use the Underground.


"U is for Underground, that is obvious" (that's for you Shannee)


Looking back it seems surreal.


It was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget and I loved every minute of it.

But really, what were we thinking? We could have been mugged, kidnapped, put in jail or a number of other things?? But it was fun while it lasted!

No comments: