At the hospital where I work, we call it a "Code Pink". This is when a baby is missing, unaccounted for, or stolen. Apparently at Target, they call it a "Code Yellow".
We were at Super Target and I was being a "Nice" "Fun" mom so I got the cart that Luke could ride on. He did really good at first. He would get off when we stopped to look at something and then get back on and ride to the next stop. We were at the back of the store and Luke was having a lot of fun with his new found freedom. As I stopped to look at something in the large, wide isle that runs that width of the store, Luke jumped down and took off running at full speed. Me, being the naive mother that I am, I thought, "Oh he will realize that I'm not chasing him, he will get scared, start crying and come looking for me." I am so naive. I stood and waited in the isle pretending to look at things, while I secretly stood with my hand cupped to my ear. Just waiting for the crying to begin. After 3-4 minutes, there was no Luke and no crying. So I decided to start walking back and forth on that main isle looking up and down the rows. Thinking, "surely he couldn't have gone very far." Once again, I am so naive. After a couple a minutes I ask a worker, "Have you seen a little boy?" She calls on her radio, "Code Yellow, we have a lost little boy" and she gives the description. Someone calls back and says they have the lost little boy. When they bring him to me, Luke is giggling, skipping and laughing. The man tells me, "I found him all of the way up by the electronics" (this is on the opposite side of the store, by the entrance).
Later that day as I was recounting the incident to my sister Jana, she said, "Oh, you must have been worried sick!". And that was when I realized, NO, I wasn't really worried. I was thinking 'JUST YOU WAIT UNTIL I FIND YOU!!!' (keep in mind, Luke is 2 years old, and obviously a BIG tease.)
So next time you are at Super Target and hear a "Code Yellow", just know that it is probably Luke and this time I will worry and go looking for him sooner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is so funny - I'm glad you found him but what a little stinker!
Yeah, I hate those carts! I always tell my kids I'm not strong enough to push them because the novelty wears off real fast and I end up pushing a suburban through the store. Glad you found him... and I would be like you too... I would have been thinking, "aurgh, you rascal!"
Thank you so much for subbing in nursery the other day! You are so sweet. It's kinda crazy in there huh?
WHERE is the newest addition to your family?! I thought I'd see a post about it on here... I'll have to see it sometime.
I've had to have a code Adam called on Megan in Walmart, and I was worried because you can see some scary people in that store. And what is this about a new addition to your family? Is there a new pet? I love your hair, by the way. Super cute.
Post a Comment