The Layton Family October 2010

The Layton Family October 2010

Monday, November 24, 2008

Indpendance!


I knew this day was coming, I guess I just didn't realize it would come so soon and be so frustrating! Luke has discovered his Independence and he's loving every minute of it! He has to do everything! He has to get himself into the car and car seat, put the lids on everything (sipee cups, milk jugs...you name it), he has to put his toys away HIMSELF, get himself dressed, wash himself in the tub, wash his own face and hands (they're never really clean anymore), get his own snacks, climb into bed by himself, and the list goes on and on.

I know, I know. I can hear 99% of you saying, "This is such a good thing!" "What's wrong with that?" "You should encourage this!" And if I weren't in the situation myself I would be saying the exact same thing. I know this is how he learns, but take it a little at a time PLEASE!

The real problem is that he has to do EVERYTHING by himself. And if I forget and "help" him, he has a serious meltdown. Or, if the skill is too complicated for him, he gets really frustrated and mad!

A wise sister-friend (Norma no blog) once told me, "This too shall pass". I tell myself this about 4-5 times a day. I know this is just a phase, but I will be so grateful when it is over!

2 comments:

Chambrae said...

I totally feel your pain! We have the same meltdowns at our house. I can't tell you how many times I have taken Daxten's shirt off and had to put it back on just so he would stop screaming and could do it himself. It is frustrating. I guess the good news is that eventually life will be tons easier for us because they will learn to do it by themselves! Good luck for now though!

Hollie said...

One day you will be glad that he can do it by himself, so hang in there! Also I have to tell you I love that you give him M&M's in a measuring cup. OOHH! Those were the good ole days when Mom used to do that for us. I do the same thing with my kids.