The Layton Family October 2010

The Layton Family October 2010

Friday, March 26, 2010

Claire Layton

Claire was born on Saturday morning, March 20th, 2010.


Let me begin with earlier that week....


Kent was out of town and returned home late Thursday night. Which meant that I was flying solo most of the week. Friday we had Dr. appointment to check the growth of the baby. The ultrasound showed that she hadn't grown very much during the past few weeks. I was also dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. The Dr. sent me for a non-stress test at the hospital (this is to make sure the baby isn't stressed in any way). Claire was doing great, I however had very elevated blood pressure (150-160's/ 100-110's). At this point I just had to laugh to myself, of course I have elevated blood pressure, my husband has been out of town. The Dr. decided I would stay at the hospital for 24 hours to monitor my BP and do a urine test to see if it was positive for protein. This meant I wouldn't be going home until 5pm on Saturday. I was very disappointed. Saturday was our anniversary and we had plans to go on one last date before the baby came.

The Dr.'s were trying to decide if they should send me home on bed rest until Thursday when I would be 37 weeks or if they should just induce me (I had mild preeclamsia but I guess when you add a small baby, mild preeclamsia=severe preeclampsia). At around 3am on Saturday I started having contractions and by 5am I was dilated to a 5 and progressing. That made the decision easy for the Dr.'s. Claire was coming on her own. (I found out that my urine was 4+ for protein, 3+ is bad. So they would have induced me anyhow).
Needless to say, Claire was born at 9:31am on Saturday. I was shocked. I really didn't think she would come for at least 2 more weeks. I hadn't packed a thing or even gotten her room ready. We even had to go and buy diapers on the way home-that is how unprepared I was.


Claire was 4# 11oz and 17 1/2 inches long. She was 36.2 weeks, so she was the earliest baby we have had. (Lily was 37.1 weeks 4#10oz and 15 inches long). Claire was perfectly healthy. No respitory problems, only temperature issues and blood sugar issues which is normal for a baby that early and small. She was in the "Special Care" nursery for both days, but we were able to bring her home from the hospital with us and she is doing great! I was so grateful Kent wasn't out of town any longer (he was back home for about 36 hours before she was born). And I got a baby on my anniversary! We are both doing well. I just hope I can adjust to being a mother of 3!





14 comments:

Jana said...

YAY! Congratulations, Claire is so beautiful! I'm glad you're both doing well and I wish you luck in juggling three-- but I'm sure you can do it! You're SuperMom! Can't wait to meet the newest Layton.

McKays said...

I've been checking twice a day...waiting patiently (kind of) for this post! She is beautiful...and I LOVE all that dark hair. Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!!

Christina Olson said...

Congrats!! I was in your ward last Sunday when I heard the news. I can't believe she is so healthy for being so tiny! You are definitely blessed, especially with beautiful children!!:)

Norma said...

Ha, ha! that comment that you had to buy diapers on the way home made me laugh! That is so UNLIKE you. She really was a surprise!She is a doll and I cannot wait to babysit her!

Ali said...

Congrats! She is beautiful and I love all that hair. Glad Kent was back for it all and that she is so healthy.

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely beautiful! I 2nd Annie - I LOVE all the dark hair We are so excited for you guys! Congrats!!! And I am so glad Kent was home, what a close call! Good luck adjusting to 3, I promise it just gets better and better, and your kids will adore her. We can't wait to meet her!

Doreen said...

She is beautiful. Glad everything is going great. Thanks for all the cute pictures. LOVE her hair!

Super Wrang said...

Congratulations! I can't believe how beautiful your whole family is. I hope we'll be able to come visit you within the next couple of years, but alas the outlooks are not too optimistic since I've decided to go back to school.
Claire looks gorgeous, I'm so happy for all of you! Love ya
Inéz

Teisha said...

She's adorable Heidi! Congratulations!

Judy said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!And all that cute hair. I wish I would have known earlier. Do you need anything? Do you need your other kiddos to come and play? Call me, I'm willing to help!!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations! I can't believe the hair! So beautiful..

Indiana Downings said...

Heidi....we had no idea that you had your baby or maybe Kathleen told John & he never told me. I am always the last to know. Anyway, congrats! I understand the not being prepared, but it sounds like you are all doing well. Take care & we miss & love you all.

Raquel said...

Congrats! She is adorable! Love all that hair!

Becky Rasmussen said...

Heidi, Congratulations, she's beautiful! I'm so sorry I didn't expect her to sneak up on us like that.