The Layton Family October 2010

The Layton Family October 2010

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Where Have We Been??

For those of you who have seen my yard, or the inside of my home for that matter. You are probably wondering, "What have the Layton's been up to? Obviously not house work or yard work...." I haven't exercised for 2 months, I have 44 unread emails in my inbox, and yes I have been slacking on my blog updates.

I apologize to my neighbors and anyone else who has had to endure my yard and home. But we have been BUSY!!! We have been finishing our basement!! And I am proud to say it is done!! Sure there are still a few minor projects (staining some cabinet fronts- we are still waiting for them to come, sealing the tile and making shelves for my storage closets)...minor details.


However, the best part is that Kent, my wonderful and handy husband, has done it all himself....with a few exceptions. We hired out the dry wall, mud and tape, bathroom cabinets and kitchen cabinets, the counter tops and carpet. But Kent did everything else...with some help from family. By the way, a HUGE thank you to Ken, Dad, Miles and Stephen. We couldn't have done it without you!

We added 2200 square feet: 3 bedrooms, 1 full bath, toy room, storage room, a kitchenette, a great room, and a home theater room. It was a LOT of work. It took us 2 1/2 years to complete and during that time Kent started and finished his dissertation. Needless to say, I am so excited to have my husband back!!! No more big projects!! At least for a little while.

I have posted some pictures, mainly for Miles and Missy. They are in Washington where Miles is doing his residency. Miles and Missy, these are for you!

This is one of the 3 bedrooms, looking at the closet door and window.
This is the great room looking at it from Kent's shop door.
This is the great room looking at it from the other end. The french doors you see lead to the home theater room.
This is a close-up of the fireplace Kent built.
This is a close-up of the book shelf/ entertainment center Kent built. There are cabinet fronts going just below the TV in the center. We are still waiting for them to come.
This is a close up of the wanes coating Kent built on the walls in the great room.
This is a close-up of the kitchenette. In the background you can see Kent's shop door, to give you an idea of where it is.
This is from the great room looking into Luke's play room. The doors you see behind his slide are all for storage!
Inside Luke's play room, looking at the play area underneath the stairs.
These are the sinks and cabinets in the bathroom.
Tub and toilet.
This is a view of how they fit together.
The food storage room underneath the garage. Don't look too closely, it has doubled as our storage/ catch all for the last 2 years.
This is the home theater room. It is underneath the garage also. Notice on the left, Kent built a shelf into the wall for the components. The door on the left leads into the food storage room. This is the screen and stage. We still have to stain the inside of the stage and cabinet fronts for the 5 open cubby holes you see. Kent is building drawers for the cubby holes, that will slide out for DVD's and games and blankets. We spend almost every night watching the Olympics in here. It's a blast!
Thank you to my wonderful husband for all of the hard work he has done. I am so proud of him and amazed at how talented he is! I know what Miles is going to say, so I'll just say it now, "Kent, you are an ANIMAL!!!"

7 comments:

Miles&Missy said...

Looks great, kent (and heidi). You should see my Nissan, I think it would fit within the dimensions of your screen! Congrats, can't wait to see it someday.
miles

Jana said...

WOW!
What else can I say? That is amazing! It looks great!

Marissa said...

So, when do we get to come break-in that home theater room? =) Looks great! Doesn't it feel great to get it all done?

The Queen Bee said...

It's a Beaut Clark! A real Beaut! I've seen it with my own eyes and I'm ready to move in! I mean, do you wanna watch a movie? :)

Taylor & Annie said...

Um...I'm with everyone else - when is movie night? Let us know we'll bring the root beer floats. (Although maybe we won't eat them in the theater room, we'd hate to spill on the new carpet!)

The Red Hen said...

Wow, amazing. It makes me want to have MY basement finished. BYU football games will be INTENSE on your big screen!

leslie jo said...

Heidi, how are you doing? I found your blog while blog stalking sorry. Your little family is sooo cute and your basement looks awesome!